Descriptive Reflection: Formal Introductory Letter

 

Dear Professor Blackstone,

My name is Kiran Kaur, and I am writing this letter to introduce myself. I graduated in 2022 from Singapore Polytechnic with a diploma in civil engineering. My interest in engineering stemmed from my childhood, where I would always be captivated by how infrastructure was built, as well as the science behind engineering. I always wondered how buildings were designed, and how bridges and tunnels could remain standing during construction. This intrigue of mine allowed me to easily make the decision to continue civil engineering in university.

A communication strength I possess is the ability to fluently continue a conversation with my peers. I can use the appropriate terms to create a rhythmic and comfortable flow in discussions. I am more confident in conversational English, as opposed to written English, as it can be difficult to express your emotions in writing. Spoken English allows me to include my feelings into the delivery of my speech, resulting in me being more versatile with my vocabulary. However, this changes when I am tasked with addressing a crowd. With so many pairs of eyes on me, I find it difficult to focus on my articulation. This will eventually lead to me stalling on my sentences and losing the attention of my audience.

My goals for this module would be to improve on my written English, as well as to develop better public speaking skills, by articulating my thoughts and opinions in front of a group better. My willingness to try new things are what differentiates me from my peers. I have an undying enthusiasm to experiment with new opportunities that comes my way. I hope to refine my communication skills more in your class.

Best Regards,

Kiran Kaur


Commented on: 

Wan Chung 

Leyi 

Stephanie

Comments

  1. Dear Kiran, nice to know you well from your self introducing post. Glad being one of your grouping peer in this module, I had know better of your strength in your communication skill which always benefits to me. Hope can know more about your hobbies and other interest too after the days get along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wan Chung, thank you for the comment! Glad to be one of your blogging buddies! ^^

      Delete
  2. Hi Kiran, thank you for sharing! Your letter is clear, concise and complete as you have delivered what's needed and your letter can be easily understood.

    For your letter, it would be better if you were to use some semicolons as some sentences are lengthy. Other than that, you have good use of language. Looking forward to your future posts and to getting to know you better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stephanie, thanks for the comment! I will definitely keep that in mind when I edit my letter!

      Delete
  3. Hello Kiran, your letter is clear and concise which enables me to learn more about you through this letter. For the last part “I hope to refine my communication skills more in your class.”, perhaps you can include an example of what you will do in class to refine your communication skills. Other than that, you have a great use of vocabulary and your letter is well structured. Thank you for sharing more about yourself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Leyi, thank you for the comment! Will keep that in mind when I edit my letter!

      -Kiran

      Delete
  4. Dear Kiran,

    Thank you for this clear, concise and informative letter. The content is well aligned with the assignment brief, you present your thoughts in a clear and well-organized manner and the language use is excellent. You've also shared about your interest in design and how that has impacted your study choice, which allows us readers to gain a basic understanding of who you are.

    In more detail and with good fluency you explain your comm skills and also demonstrate a willingness to improve in areas like writing and presenting, which will be important as you move forward on your study and eventual career path.

    I look forward to working with you further this term.

    Best wishes,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Prof Blackstone for your comment! I will definitely try my best to improve on my writing and presenting in your class.
      - Kiran

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts